We are tickled pink for all things Valentine’s Day lately! I made my own sensory rice for a Valentine’s themed sensory bin! Sensory bins are great for inhibiting cognitive development and fine motor skills. Vivian loved it and loved throwing the rice all over even more. It’s really awesome to see her mind working as she was playing with the rice.
What You Need:
-2.5 cups of Rice per color (any kind works, white rice is best)
-Food Coloring (10 drops per 2.5 cups of rice)
-1 tsp vinegar or rubbing alcohol per color
-Gallon Sized Ziploc bags
-Large container or Bin
- Place 2.5 cups of rice into a gallon Ziploc bag. You can do as many colors as you’d like.
- Squirt 5-10 drops of food coloring in each bag. More drops = richer the color.
- Pour 1 teaspoon of rubbing alcohol or vinegar into the baggie. Rubbing alcohol tends to dry quicker.
- Zip bag and shake it up!
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels. Place the rice on paper towels and let dry. It should only take 15 minutes if placed in the sun.
- Put the dry rice into a bin (I used a large Tupperware container). Add any random object for pouring or playing in the bin!
*I totally recommend placing this on a sheet or doing this outside because the rice gets EVERYWHERE. You could also buy a cheap small inflatable pool to place it in!
Enjoy your Valentine Sensory Bin! Tag me on Instagram if you try it @firstcomesfamily.mama !